Can Pomegranate Help Boost Your Testosterone Levels?
So, it’s no news that pomegranate is packed with antioxidant-rich seeds and these findings trace their way back to the Mediterranean era when it was first discovered that pomegranates have a lot of health benefits. The unique juicily delicious taste and health related benefits are responsible for their widespread consumption.
Effect Of Pomegranate On Cardiovascular System And Erectile Function
Pomegranates consumption is associated with a wide variety of cardiovascular benefits. For example, based on several research studies, it has been identified that antioxidants present in pomegranates can assist in lowering the blood pressure and getting rid of plaque that forms within the arteries as part of the physiological aging process. To top it all, pomegranates also enhances the erectile function and quality of sexual relationships.
Among various micronutrients, the key antioxidant is punicalagin, which makes up for greater than 50% of the total percentage of antioxidant content of pomegranates. Pomegranate also work by stimulating the production and release of naturally occurring antioxidants within the body like catalase, glutathione and glutathione-peroxidase. It has been found that in comparison to acai berry juice, cranberry juice, blackberry, blueberry juice and grapes; pomegranate juice contains a considerably higher content of antioxidants that are also capable of exhibiting greater activity.
Consuming the pomegranate juice also boosts the enzymatic process of eNOS which is responsible for the production of a vasodilating agent called nitric oxide (NO). It works by preventing the degradation of NO (nitric oxide) thereby promoting the vascular activity within the body. And that’s not all; pomegranate is also packed with dietary nitrates that, with the help of tongue and bacteria present in the gut, are converted into NO.
So why is this nitric oxide so important here? To chain it all, we have established that NO is a primary agent that dilates the blood vessels. Therefore, with a shooting blood pressure, nitric oxide can be of great service as it lowers the blood pressure to normal levels and with its dilating properties it can also help in improving the quality of erection.
A long-term study conducted on subjects who consumed 50 ml of pomegranate juice on daily basis for 1-3 years revealed:
- 30% decline in the formation of arterial plaque
- Minimal risk of developing high blood pressure
- Well-sustained status of antioxidant (determined by basal antioxidant activity)
- Significantly reduced LDL cholesterol oxidation rate
Effect Of Pomegranate On Testosterone
Pomegranate aids in boosting testosterone production by elevating the activity of antioxidants. The mighty fruit contains minute quantities of weak phytoestrogens however it serves as a source of numerous effective anti-estrogenic substances.
A study conducted on rats revealed that the extract of this fruit significantly lowers the testicular oxidative stress, enhances the quality of sperm and escalates the levels of testosterone by up to 22%. Another study conducted on humans who drank pomegranate juice for 2 weeks showed not only reduced blood pressure but also notably elevated levels of free-testosterone.
The bottom line is this royal fruit with a crown on the top does literally delivers fruitful results, and there are countless studies to back this statement. With its pronounced activity on NO, pomegranate juice is frequently recommended to people suffering from erectile dysfunction or from certain cardiovascular diseases. And of course, its popularity can’t be disregarded in the male gender where it helps boosts the levels of free-testosterone and improves the quality of sperm.
- Türk, G., Sönmez, M., Aydin, M., Yüce, A., Gür, S., Yüksel, M., … & Aksoy, H. (2008). Effects of pomegranate juice consumption on sperm quality, spermatogenic cell density, antioxidant activity and testosterone level in male rats. Clinical nutrition, 27(2), 289-296.
- Al-Dujaili, E., & Smail, N. (2012). Pomegranate juice intake enhances salivary testosterone levels and improves mood and well being in healthy men and women.
- Al-Olayan, E. M., El-Khadragy, M. F., Metwally, D. M., & Moneim, A. E. A. (2014). Protective effects of pomegranate (Punica granatum) juice on testes against carbon tetrachloride intoxication in rats. BMC complementary and alternative medicine, 14(1), 164.