Preventing Prostate Cancer With Vitamin A
Vitamin A and Prostate Cancer
A recent study published in the Oncogenesis Journal has shown that Vitamin A can decrease prostate cancer’s ability to spread and can improve treatment and help preventing prostate cancer. It also can improve the treatment of nervous system diseases like Alzheimer’s. Hence, eat more carrots.
Preventing Prostate Cancer,Vitamin A Sources:
Vitamin A is found naturally in many foods:
- Cod liver oil (30000 μg)
- Liver (turkey) (8058 μg)
- Liver (beef, pork, fish) (6500 μg 722%)
- Liver (chicken) (3296 μg)
- Dandelion greens (5588 IU 112%)
- Carrot (835 μg 93%)
- Broccoli leaf (800 μg 89%) – According to USDA database broccoli florets have much less.
- Sweet potato (709 μg 79%)
- Butter (684 μg 76%)
- Kale (681 μg 76%)
- Spinach (469 μg 52%)
- Pumpkin (400 μg 41%)
- Collard greens (333 μg 37%)
- Cheddar cheese (265 μg 29%)
- Cantaloupe melon (169 μg 19%)
- Egg (140 μg 16%)
- Apricot (96 μg 11%)
- Papaya (55 μg 6%)
- Mango (38 μg 4%)
- Pea (38 μg 4%)
- Broccoli (31 μg 3%)
- Milk (28 μg 3%)
Note: data taken from USDA database bracketed values are retinol activity equivalences (RAEs) and percentage of the adult male RDA, per 100 grams of the foodstuff (average).
Conversion of carotene to retinol varies from person to person and bio-availability of carotene in food varies.