Natural Remedies for Dyspareunia
Natural Remedies for Dyspareunia
Dyspareunia is defined as a medical condition characterized by pain that is experienced by a woman when penetration is attempted during a sexual intercourse or a sexual activity. The pain might be superficial or deep and is often caused by the dryness of the vagina or any other genital disorder. The pain can be felt in the area around the vaginal opening. It can also be felt within the pelvic area when the penis is thrust inside. The pain itself can be sharp, burning, or cramping. The pelvic muscles tend to become tight thereby increasing the pain when an insertion is attempted. To diagnose dyspareunia, doctors will inquire about the symptoms and might examine the pelvic area.
Pain associated with dyspareunia is often influenced by emotions. Even a minor discomfort might feel like an excruciating pain if a woman has gone through a traumatic sexual experience. Other factors which greatly influence the pain felt during dyspareunia include feelings of anger towards a sex partner, negative self-image, fear of pregnancy or intimacy, and a conviction that pain will never go away.
Use of Natural Remedies for Treating Dyspareunia
Dyspareunia is commonly observed in premenopausal and menopausal phases of a woman’s fertility cycle. Emotional and psychological factors often result in low sexual arousal and physical discomfort. Some natural remedies that are valuable for treating dyspareunia are listed below:
- Yoga: A five-minute yoga session involving a stretching session prior to an intercourse can offer a lot of physical relaxation. Practicing yoga on a regular basis can help in strengthening up your muscles and removing the tightness of muscles that can cause the pain associated with dyspareunia. Yoga can also decrease your stress levels and boost your self-image and self-confidence.
- Ayurveda: Ayurveda is an alternate system of medicines that focusses on removing impurities from our system to reduce the symptoms of a disease. Vaginal drying is often cured by the use of herbal lubricants. Natural estrogen creams are advocated for curing menopausal symptoms.
- Using Natural Oils: The use of natural oils such as olive oil, baby oil, and petroleum jelly are often prescribed for alleviating the symptoms of dyspareunia. Since oil has a tendency of trapping moisture and keeping the skin elastic, more and more women prefer to use it as a sexual lubricant.
- Use of Water-Soluble Lubricants: Water-soluble lubricants or creams that are rich in estrogen can help in curing the pain associated with dyspareunia. Water-based lubricants can help reduce the friction caused by penetration. This in turn reduces the amount of pain normally felt during a sexual encounter.
- Modifying Sexual Technique: Dyspareunia can also be treated by modifying your sexual technique. You can try increasing the amount of foreplay and delay penetration so as to maximize arousal. This will help in lubricating the vagina and decrease the pain associated with penetration. Trying alternative sexual positions can also help in limiting the pain associated with an intercourse.
- Use of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicines: Chinese herbal medicines and acupuncture too have been found to be effective in curing the symptoms of dyspareunia. Doctors often recommend desensitization therapy involving vaginal relaxation techniques for reducing the pain felt during sex.
- “Effect of yoga on menopausal symptoms” by Sulabha Joshi, et al. Published in September 2011, Volume 17, Number 3 of Post Reproductive Health, accessed on 26 May 2015. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1258/mi.2011.011020