Jobs and Sexual Life, Stress is a Killer
If your sex life if no longer what it used to be, one of the most likely reason could be the stress at your workplace. The more stress you face at work, the more likely you are to have a boring sex life. And this is not plain rhetoric, it has been proven scientifically.
A new research published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine has found that a taxing job does have an adverse effect on your sex life. The researchers, led by Aleksandar Stulhoger, a sociology professor at the University of Zagreb in Croatia, have found that a difficult time at wok can lead to decreased interest in sex, weak erections, premature ejaculations and other sex related problems.
The researchers say that this is because a person under stress finds it difficult to concentrate on erotic sensations.
Some jobs are more likely to lead to an unsatisfactory sex life
Although stress at any workplace can affect the sex life, certain jobs are considered to be unhealthier in this aspect. A recent study conducted by the Manchester University compiled a list of jobs which have a negative impact on the individual’s sexual life.
According to this list, the profession that is the most likely to lead to an unsatisfactory sex life is that of a businessman. The study found that businessmen are the most stressed out individuals with irregular eating hours. These two factors when combined can cause a huge decrease in interest towards sex.
Policemen, men working in military and employees working with security agencies also complain of an unhealthy sexual life. This is because the amount of time they spend at work leave them with little stamina for anything else.
People in the field of arts also fare poorly in this aspect. They let out all their energy through their work and they also frequently abuse alcohol which is bad for a healthy sex life.
Ways through which stress can create havoc with an individual’s sexual life
Experts suggest that stress can take a heavy toll on not just an individual’s physical health but also his emotional health and his relationships. Let us discuss it in detail.
- A stressed out individual often has a negative body image. Hormones released in an individual suffering from stress can affect his metabolism. Anxiety and depression can also lead to binge eating. These factors may lead to an unintentional weight gain. The individual may then be ashamed of his physique and find it embarrassing to get under the sheet.
- A stressed out individual has a low libido. Stress leads to the production of cortisol hormone. If the cortisol levels are elevated for a prolonged period, the production of sex hormones is suppressed. This, in turn, may lead to a low libido.
- A stressed out individual is often not a pleasant company. Stress may lead to anger or frustration and snap at his partner for no reason. This can be a big turn off in any relationship.
- A stressed out individual often resorts to heavy drinking. Alcohol is bad for the sex life. It causes dehydration which may lead to considerable reduction in lubrication. Having sex without adequate lubrication can be a painful experience and if this happens on a regular basis, it may ultimately lead to kissing sex goodbye.
Steps that can be taken to reduce stress at workplace
In order to reduce stress at workplace and have a satisfactory sex life, certain steps can be taken. These include:
- Taking time out to exercise regularly
- Avoid sitting at the work station for long intervals. Taking small breaks in between help in improving the blood supply to various body parts and rejuvenating the individual.
- Listening to relaxing music
- Learning to delegate work efficiently.
- Laughing more often can diffuse tension.
- Take omega-3 supplements on a regular basis.
- Opt for a job which you love.