Is sex good for short-term memory?
Regular sex has a number of health benefits and although sexual frequency as well as stamina declines with age, there are many reasons why you should maintain a healthy sex life. This may sound odd but according to a new research, sexual intercourse can improve the short- term memory in elderly folks.
The latest study that was conducted on over 6,000 adults over the age of 50 years suggested that happy and healthy sex life leads to better short-term memory in elderly population. The results of this amazing study were published in the peer reviewed journal Archives of Sexual Behavior.
Details of the Study:
The study began in 2016, when a team of researchers interviewed about 6,016 women and men regarding their overall health, diet, sex life, sexual relationship with their partner and other related parameters. These study participants were also analyzed via memory assessment test.
At 2-year follow-up, the research team repeated the same process i.e. interviewed study participants on their sexual and physical health parameters, followed by memory assessment tests. The research team then analyzed the results to see what changed during the study period and what could have caused it.
Here is what scientists at University of Wollongong in Australia discovered:
- Memory creation and recall declines as we age
- People who reported a stronger emotional connection with their partner and more frequent sexual activity performed much better on the memory assessment tests
- No change or influence was observed on the long-term memory creation
What causes improvement in the short-term memory in individuals who engage in regular sex?
It is a well-known fact that sexual activity or intent stimulates hippocampal area of brain that is also associated with creation and storage of short-term memories. Besides boosting short – term memory, regular sexual activity offers a number of other health benefits in elderly population; such as:
- Stress Reduction: Advancing age is associated with a greater risk of developing stress as well as stress related diseases such as depression, heart diseases, anxiety etc. But it is noteworthy that sexual activity releases oxytocin – a hormone that is associated with feeling of pleasure and happiness. Oxytocin is also a well-known stress reliver.
- Better immunity: Regular sexual intercourse at least once a week is known to boost immunity by stimulating the production of immunoglobulins to ward off diseases and infections
- Healthy Prostate Gland: Healthy sex life also boost prostate health. There have been numerous studies that indicates that healthy sex life also reduces the risk of developing prostate health.
- Boost metabolism: Regular sexual activity also keeps your metabolism and body weight in check. According to healthcare providers, a single session of sex can help you burn up to 300 calories.