Genital Hygiene for Males
Genital Hygiene for Males
Genital hygiene is an important ritual which must be taught to both males as well as females. It is important to maintain a good genital hygiene to keep the body clean and free from harmful germs and bacteria. Regular washing of genitals ensures that the genital organs are clean and stay healthy. There are certain types of bacteria which are normally found in the genital area. They are harmless and are in fact important for maintaining the skin in a healthy state. However, an excess build-up of bacteria due to inadequate washing of the genitals can harm the skin and eventually lead to various health related issues.
How to keep the Male Genitals Clean?
- Wash the genitals everyday. The penis, scrotum, anus, as well as the pubic hair should be washed everyday with a mild soap and water.
- After urinating, you must shake the penis gently so as to expel the remaining drops of urine. You must also wipe the area dry.
- The anus should be wiped dry with a tissue or cleaned with water after a bowel movement.
- You must make it a habit to wash your hands after urinating and after cleaning the anus as germs can easily spread through hands.
- The base of the penis and the testicles also need to be cleaned daily to avoid a strong sweaty smell from the pubic hair.
Cleaning the Foreskin
When a boy is born, his penis is not circumcised. Young boys and kids should not try to forcefully push the foreskin back. As the boy grows, the skin will gradually open up and push backwards on its own. Till the time this happens, you can just wash the foreskin which is visible. The following recommendations should be observed while cleaning the foreskin:
- Only mild soaps, preferably chemical-free, should be used for cleaning the foreskin and heavily scented soaps should be avoided.
- At times, you might observe a whitish-yellow, oil-like substance, known as smegma, accumulating under the foreskin. It is important to wash off smegma as its accumulation can cause genital odor and might also lead to infections.
- A number of men suffer from inflammation in the foreskin. The foreskin often tends to become red and sore. In such cases, men must avoid scented soaps, bubble bath, and must wear loose underwear or boxers.
- For babies it is very important to change diapers and wet nappies to avoid infections.
For men with circumcised penis, since the foreskin has been surgically removed, the chances of infection are less. However, they must wash the penis with mild soap and water daily.
Considerations for Maintaining Genital Hygiene in Men
The following guidelines should be adopted for maintaining a good genital hygiene:
- Bathe once or twice a day and make it a point to clean the penis and testicles with water and a mild soap.
- Keep the genital area dry and use a fresh pair of underwear or boxers. Try to wear a loose fitting cotton underwear as it does not retain moisture.
- Use tissue to wipe the genitals dry after urinating.
- Wash your genitals after a sexual encounter.
- Wash your hands after using a restroom.