If you are one of the many men who is struggling with erectile dysfunction, you deserve to get the most qualified medical help possible to help you resolve the condition. The first step is to evaluate the cause of the condition.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
The loss of the ability to have an erection, or a sustained erection can be the result of a range of physical problems, including:
- Peyronie’s Disease (plaque formation in the penile tissue leading to blood flow problems)
- The use of certain medications
- Trauma affecting the penile structure
- Heart or blood vessel conditions (atherosclerosis, etc.)
- Prostate cancer and prostate cancer treatments
- Metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, high insulin and other symptoms)
- Sleep apnea
- Side effect of surgeries to spinal cord or pelvic region
- Psychological issues
Treating Erectile Dysfunction (ED)
The treatment for ED will be based upon the symptoms, cause, and what will produce the most positive outcome. Dr. Elist is a leading Beverly Hills urologist, and has four decades in practice focused on male sexual health and penile conditions and diseases. The process of identifying the cause of your condition could include the following tests:
- A physical examination to check nerve response and identify plaque buildup
- Blood tests to identify disease or condition that may result in ED
- Urine testing to identify diabetes or other health condition
- Ultrasound tests to identify blood vessel abnormalities
Your treatment will be based upon the results of testing and could include:
- Medications such as Viagra, Cialis, or other
- Penile injections to cause an erection
- Penis pump
- Penile implant
Penile Implants for Erectile Dysfunction
A penile implant may be the most effective way for some men to restore the ability to engage in sexual intercourse. These implants are devices placed on each side of the penis structure, composed of very flexible rods, or inflatable rods. With inflatable rods, you will control the period of time in which your erection is present. With the flexible rods, your penis is firm enough to engage in sexual intercourse, but able to bend.
These treatments may be the last option for some men but are very effective and have a high satisfaction rating from patients. If you have tried medications and other treatments and are still unable to achieve or maintain an erection, it is important that your condition is correctly diagnosed and treated, and Dr. Elist can help you identify the most effective treatment – for you.
Sexual Health and Confidence
The loss of the ability to have a sustained, healthy erection is a very difficult situation for a man to live with. Getting treatment that will work – in your case – is an urgent and important matter. It is advised that you avoid any natural remedies, as some of these have been found to be dangerous in how they interact with medications you may be taking.
It is important that the cause of your ED is correctly diagnosed and treated, and that you have access to the most advanced treatments available. Dr. Elist understand how your self-confidence can be affected by ED, and will work closely with you to find a solution that produces a positive result – and a happier, more confident life.